EdPlus at ASU is a dynamic unit of Arizona State University focused on the design and scalable delivery of digital teaching and learning models to increase student success and reduce barriers to achievement in higher education. We advance the economic, social, cultural, and overall health of the local, national, and international communities served by ASU. Want to know more about working at EdPlus? Click here!
We’re seeking a Sr. Director of Data Architecture and Strategy to oversee the strategic direction and coordination of data assets across EdPlus and the university broadly to enhance and optimize the flow and use of data. This role includes prioritizing data structure, processes, responsible data practices, and adhering to the ASU Charter. In collaboration with other leadership in Action Lab, another core responsibility encompasses cultivating innovation,
inclusivity, and continuous learning to keep EdPlus’s data capabilities cutting-edge.
The role requires leadership and collaborative skills to influence across collectives within and outside of EdPlus. A successful candidate will: (1) evangelize best practices in data management, structure, and flow; (2) determine how to best leverage relevant existing and emerging technologies; and (3) promote better understanding and utilization of data, analytics, and business intelligence through responsible data governance.
The ideal candidate for this role is an experienced data practitioner who will lead this team strategically, operationally, and collaboratively. Strategically, by helping to vet and design the best ways for the Action Lab to ingest and manage data in our ecosystem. Operationally, by working with the team and support partners to make sure our day-to-day data pipelines/structures are performant. And collaboratively, by enabling the Action Lab team and other data partners to continue to grow in the same direction. See below for a descriptive list of
Develop Data Strategy and Governance: Formulate and execute a comprehensive data strategy and governance framework aimed at cultivating deep data expertise within EdPlus.
Stakeholder Collaboration: Collaborate effectively with stakeholders, leadership, and cross-functional teams to define both short-term and long-term roadmaps for strategic initiatives inside EdPlus and across the University at-large.
Personnel Leadership: Co-develop personnel management activities, including recruitment, training, and performance evaluations with Action Lab leadership. Provide strong leadership and mentorship to the team.
Program and Project Oversight: Direct, manage, and oversee the orchestration, development, ingestion, and coordination of data flows required to ensure successful review, research, and implementation of EdPlus ideas.
Technology Management: Lead the management of data and analytics technologies at EdPlus, encompassing data ingestion, integration, data lake management, reporting, visualization, and intelligence tools.
Data Infrastructure Optimization: Ensure that the infrastructure, processes, models, and algorithms are optimized for data integrity, performance, security, and governance. Foster cutting-edge and coherent ways of storing, leveraging, and sharing data insights in a multi-cloud environment.
Vision Execution: Establish and execute a vision for delivering information and analytics platforms and solutions to meet the needs of EdPlus stakeholders and partners.
Data Governance and Privacy Advancement: Advance EdPlus and ASU's data governance and privacy program, working closely with Enterprise Technology (another university unit) and data stewards to uphold ethical data practices, mitigate biases, and ensure responsible data usage.
Adaptability and Innovation: Continuously explore and experiment with innovative data technologies to identify opportunities for automation, data synthesis, and advanced analytics, fostering a culture of innovation and transparency (e.g., modern data stacks and cloud agnostic approaches, when appropriate).
Data-Driven Decision Support: Enable data-driven decision-making by collecting and reporting information to measure operational performance and strategic outcomes through reports, dashboards, and data enrichment. Being comfortable with competing deadlines and leading through uncertainty is required as no two projects are the same in our unit.
Strategic Roadmap Development: Collaborate with the Executive Director of Action Lab, other leadership, and other stakeholders to co-develop strategic roadmaps that optimize the efficiency and efficacy of data assets serving EdPlus’s mission and ASU's charter.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of data enrichment, business analysis, data analytics, project management, and data quality assurance.
- Knowledge of change management practices and techniques needed for large, complex projects such as strategic planning practices and establishing priorities.
- Knowledge of data analytics structure, methodologies, and practices at large universities or companies.
- Skill in forecasting, problem-solving, and decision-making.
- Skill in critical evaluation of produced reports.
- Experience leading and maturing a team of data practitioners by providing strategic guidance, supporting ongoing professional development, and fostering a thriving work environment.
- Skill in program design and development through data orchestration and analytics.
- Evidence of effective communication, both verbal and written.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Conversant and experienced with business intelligence tools (Tableau, Alteryx, Control-M, PowerBI, Collibra, etc.).
- Demonstrated knowledge of cloud data technologies (AWS Redshift, AWS S3, Azure SQL, GCP, etc.).
- Aptitude for learning and leveraging new data and emergent technologies.
- Experience in leading organizational improvement, creating technical and process efficiencies, appropriate governance, and quality assurance within a multi-layered business intelligence ecosystem.
- Experience with one or more enterprise business intelligence tools such as Tableau, PowerBI, or Alteryx.
- Experience with one or more cloud data platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP), specifically with database or data warehouse applications.
- Experience in ETL, data migration, and cleaning processes to ensure data integrity and fidelity.
- Experience in identifying and shepherding institutional culture, process, and technical change.
- Experience leading large and diverse data-focused teams.