Making Digital Learning Work
Improved student access and affordability
Higher retention and graduation rates
Reduced operational costs for institutions
With digital education on the rise, the Action Lab at Arizona State University and the Boston Consulting Group worked with six leading universities and community colleges that have a strong track record of delivering digital learning to large socioeconomically diverse student populations. Supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the resulting Making Digital Learning Work study provides actionable data, rich case studies and best practice recommendations for institutions looking to scale digital learning.
Guided by the Action Lab research group at Arizona State University, the Boston Consulting Group conducted deep onsite research of six leading institutions delivering higher education online to determine cost and benefits along three dimensions: access, outcomes, and economics for both students and institutions.
Participating institutions include: Arizona State University, University of Central Florida, Georgia State University, Houston Community College, Kentucky Community and Technical College System, Rio Salado Community College.
Read case study details from each of the six institutions.
- To a Degree podcast: Online’s Bottom Line
- EdSurge: Do Online Courses Really Save Money? A New Study Explores ROI for Colleges and Students
- Campus Technology: Online Courses Associated with Improved Retention, Access
- ELearning Inside News: New Report Offers Evidence of Digital Learning’s Benefits
- ELearning Inside news: New ASU Study Suggests High Quality Online Courses Result in a Solid ROI
- Inside Higher Ed: Blended is Best
- Inside Higher Ed: Dissecting a Glowing Report on Online Learning
- Bryan Alexander: A Major Report on Digital Learning From Arizona State University
- Education Dive: Study - Online Learning Improves Retention, Graduation Rates
- The Chronicle of Higher Education: What 6 Colleges Learned About Improving Their Online Courses
- The Evolllution online newspaper: The Science of Digital Growth: Exploring Best Practices in Online Programming and Innovation
- eCampus News: 7 ways institutions can strengthen their digital learning strategy
Case study institutions are presenting findings from Making Digital Learning Work at selected forums and conferences throughout the United States. We're ready to connect with you.
- ASU+GSV - April 16-18, 2018, San Diego, CA
- OLC Innovate - April 18-20 2018, Nashville TN
- Susan Cates, Former Chief Operating Officer of 2U
- Peter Davis, Senior Advisor at Boston Consulting Group and The Conference Board and Former President of McGraw-Hill Education
- Bill Dillon, Executive Vice President of the National Association of College and University Business Officers
- Rufus Glasper, President and Chief Executive Officer of the League for Innovation in the Community College
- Lev Gonick, Chief Information Officer at Arizona State University and cofounder and CEO of DigitalC.
- David Gray, Senior Vice President for Finance and Business, Treasurer at The Pennsylvania State University and former Chief Executive Officer of UMass Online
- Joel Hartman, Vice President for Information Technologies and Resources at the University of Central Florida
- Sally Johnstone, President of the National Center for Higher Education Management Systems
- Susan Metros, former Vice Chair and Secretary of EDUCAUSE Board of Directors, Founder and Principal at Metros Consulting