Digital storytelling enhances course content, deepens learning
In addition to her work as an Instructional Designer, Melissa Kreider is a digital storytelling artist on the EdPlus design and development team where her work compliments online course design. How? She works hand-in-glove with faculty and the rest of her team to script and produce videos that augment course content and deepen learning.
For example, Melissa worked with the Mayo Clinic and ASU’s School for the Science of Health Care Delivery team on case study videos that were interwoven through a Human Factors module for medical students. In this course, it is critical for students to understand the non-diagnostic and treatment-related factors that can impact a case.
Melissa worked with the Mayo Critical Care physician to create a digital story that follows a patient through the system from surgery through post-surgical emergency room admission and other complications that could arise on the way to a successful recovery. She created the script and worked with the design and development multimedia production team to produce an interactive series of chapters that became integrated into the Human Factors course at various stages.
During a Lunch and Learn earlier this month at EdPlus, Melissa shared the seven elements of digital storytelling she follows in her process. They include:
- The narrator who anchors the story and establishes a point of view;
- Use of real human emotions within the script so people connect to the story;
- Keeping a scene short by focusing in on one aspect of the story, narrowing it down to three minutes or 275-350 words;
- Using just the right amount of media to support the story;
- Making sure the story is told in a natural, believable way;
- Appropriate pacing including pauses so the viewer can absorb; and
- Posing a dramatic question signaling a moment of change or call to action.
Partner with us.
EdPlus at ASU will work with you to break the mold of education. Let us connect you with our team.
What best suits your needs and interests?